HOW TECHNOLOGY IMPROVES EDUCATION
Technology is everywhere and became an important part of our lives. It changed the way we do things, such as communication, shopping, and entertainment. But its greatest impact was on education – the way we learn and teach. Due to the broad and free use of the Internet and the constant development of technology, the possibilities for educating are countless.
Technology improves education by changing the way teachers teach, the way students learn and the way they interact with each other. Teachers are not the primary source of information in the classroom, and the students are not passive learners anymore. Now, teachers guide students through the teaching/learning process and encourage their engagement, whereas students are active listeners and independent learners.
Student-teacher and parent-teacher communication are changing too, parents get more involved in their children’s progress and new knowledge receiving. It also increases students’ engagement and motivation, which leads to enhanced learning. Moreover, it helps teachers to meet the needs of all students. Technology gives unlimited, free access to educational resources. Both educators and students can find all the material they need; they can access digital libraries, find textbooks, podcasts and games, and much more. It also reduces
Technology gives unlimited, free access to educational resources. Both educators and students can find all the material they need; they can access digital libraries, find textbooks, podcasts and games, and much more. It also reduces expenses of schools by using digital tools, virtual labs, electronic books, forms, and other materials
- Attract wider audience, not limited to their home city
- Use video conferences to bring a guest speaker from another country to their lecture
- Incorporate audio and video into learning materials
- Host webinars, give and check assignments online
- Create and use digital libraries containing all the relevant materials
- Use presentations to make lectures simpler and easier to remember
- Virtually collaborate with other teachers, scientists, students and parents
- Collect statistics and other data to understand students’ progress and difficulties better
- Attend online conferences and courses.
Students, in their turn, are able to:
- Learn anything from their homes, spending their time efficiently
- Save a lot on education fees, have access to top universities courses for free
- Improve the learning process and topics understanding with digital simulations and models
- Find all resources, articles, books they need just searching via the Internet
- Do inquiry-based projects by creating blogs, websites and multimedia presentations
- Communicate and collaborate with their classmates to come up with solutions, complete tasks or work on a project together.
- Have freedom to choose the right time and place for their learning
Additionally, students can also use different educational applications to learn better, faster and stay more motivated. They can learn foreign languages growing their virtual garden, play games to improve their brains and combine learning and fun in other creative ways.
But, of course, online education and freedom of choice require some skills to take the most of it, like self-discipline and focus, not get distracted and de-motivated.
Summarizing all said above, technology not only improves education, but it makes it available for everyone and that is exactly what education should be.